24th August - 23rd September 2016
Deadline for applications: 22nd August 2016
Fee: US$300.- due on or before 23rd August 2016
Download the application form (MS Word doc)
Download the application form (PDF)
Click on the logo at the right to download & install Acrobat PDF reader
The course provides an understanding of and practice in grant proposal writing for non-profits, foundations, and government agencies. Our online structured proposal writing course will show you how to write a proposal that gets funded. This distance learning course will teach you to prepare grants proposal effectively and find the best funding sources for your projects and non-profits.
The course is designed for both novice and experienced grant-seekers, it is a comprehensive, hands-on training that covers researching funding sources and writing award winning proposals. Other topics covered include: defining objectives, researching and getting to know the donor; how to develop a logic model; preparing budgets; and how to follow up with the donor. Further, the course will teach you how to use a standard proposal writing format, the most widely used in the world. During the course participants will search out funding sources and you will develop a proposal for your own organization or agency. Participants will leave this course with new skills and the ability to apply those skills to the needs of their own organization and community.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to describe and understand the basic guidelines for grant proposal writing success, why proposals are rejected, and the building blocks of a grant proposal, which include planning, writing, and submitting a proposal.
Participants will be able to write effective grant proposals that stand a strong chance of receiving a positive response from funder's. Participants will also be introduced to specialized agencies concerned with bridging the gap between funder's and grantees.
The course is divided into eight learning modules. The syllabus identifies each modular instructional objectives, study activities and assignments.
Course Learning Modules:
Pre – Training
- Introductory Course in the Online Training System (Free)
- Course navigation and guide
- Explanation of course resources
Module 1: Introduction to Proposal Writing
- What is grant proposal?
- The importance of proposal
- The satisfaction of proposal
- Grant Proposal as a challenge competition
- Solicited and unsolicited proposals
- Main rules for unsolicited proposals
Module 2: The Request for Proposal (RFP)
- How to get request for proposal
- The request for proposal
- Components of a request for proposal
- Proposal writing as a statistical game
- The standardized approach to request for proposal (RFP)
- Using proposal decision form for follow-up
Module 3: Program Development and Planning
- Pre planning and project management
- Situational Assessment
- Identifying goals, population(s) of interest and objectives
- Identify strategies, activities and resources
- Developing indicators
- Review the program plan
Module 4: Developing a Logic Model
- Stages in developing a logic model
- Preparing to develop your logic model
- Developing or assembling information
- Creating the logic model
- Review and revise the logic model
Module 5: The Six-point Guideline and Strategy for Winning a Proposal
- Establish technical credibility
- Use a funder-centered approach
- Get the budget right
- Write simply
- Add unique selling points (USPs)
- Go the extra mile
Module 6: The Building blocks of a Proposal
- Cover letter
- Cover/title page
- Proprietary notice
- Technical approach
- Project team and relevant experience
- Project budget
- Schedule/time table
- End reviews
Module 7: Packaging and Submitting the Proposal & Final Examination
- Funding agency forms
- Packaging, politicking and refunding
- Submission, traditional and online
- Tips for final checks
- Final Examination
- Participants Evaluation of Course/Feedback
This is an online course, so you’ll need to have a computer with an internet connection, and you’ll need a web-browser (you can use IE or Firefox). All the course materials you’ll need to complete this course are provided in the course modules. You will not need to purchase any additional materials, resources, or books. You will also have the opportunity of experiencing the best online training platform.
- Online, interactive, self-paced and self-learning modules.
- Assignments to test your knowledge and understanding before and after the course with.
- Opportunity to post comments, assignment answers, live chat etc.
Interaction with students will be via the Global Human Rights Leadership Training Institute training platform and all course notes and guidelines for study will be delivered and accessible to students.
At the end of each module, an assignment is completed by the students and marked by the course experts. Assignments are in the form of written assignments.
This course is aimed at staff of non-profit organizations, development workers, government officials, researchers, consultants and knowledge workers in universities, institutes, government agencies, and corporate organizations, lecturers, marketers, UN agency staff, customer relation managers, human resources managers, business, policy planners, and students who want to learn how to write effective grant proposals.
The course tuition fee is US$300. Course fees include access to all course materials, expert support, assignments as well as postage and packaging of a certificate. There is a limited amount of partial scholarships available for applicants from developing countries, based on financial need.
Location: Online [Virtual]
Total Duration: One month, approximately 35 hours learning time.
The deadline for application is 22nd August 2016, while full tuition payment is due on or before 23rd August 2016 (Note. It is your payment that guarantees your space). Registration is on a first come, first served basis. You can request for application form from email:
Further inquiries about the course may be sent to email:
Human Rights and Justice Group International
Nigeria: 53, Western Avenue, P.O.Box 3326, Surulere, 101014, Lagos, Nigeria
U.S.A.: 1208 Massachusetts Ave., Suite 4, 2nd Floor, Cambridge, MA 02138